“I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14
Loving the Lord, Loving Life, and Keeping Busy!
This is how I sometimes reply to the question, “How are you doing?” I sometimes pretend to be retired – especially on beautiful mornings – to take Trinity Hope (and other family members) walking on the Wilson Creek Trail to enjoy the ducks, squirrels, goats and other animals. Most of the time I’m juggling my available time here on earth with running our business (Deighton Lighting), mission correspondence, serving on the Board of Directors for Northwest Science Museum, serving on the promotion team for Mike Riddle’s Creation Training Initiative, revising and re-writing the text for More than Conquerors in Cultural Clashes to be republished, and going to speaking appointments most Sundays. August 28 is my only open date between now and departure for Ukraine on September 9, so if you know of a church in our area that would like a message on “Our Awesome God,” “Many Infallible Proofs,” etc., let me know. (Obviously and honestly I could not begin to be doing all of these things – or most of them – without the skills and service of my wife and daughter, Della and Sandy. They function like the heart and lungs of the physical body – out of sight but essential!)
Oh yes – and some warm summer evenings I even get to enjoy swimming and diving at Lincoln Park Pool. It’s a wonderful life when I keep in focus Who is in charge! “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, Who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.” Jude 24-25 (NKJV).
Sam Hough, preaching minister of Vernonia Christian Church, Vernonia, Oregon, plans to accompany me for the first 2 1/2 weeks of my fall mission trip to Ukraine and Germany. We are scheduled to leave September 9th, arrive in Kiev, Ukraine on 9-10, and our first speaking appointment will be on 9-11 at Good Haven Church in Kiev, where Sergei and Olga Golovin are now members. Yes, both Sam and I will be speaking – and probably Stephen Yagilnicky as well – because Ukrainian churches regularly have two or three speakers per service. Church services are often 2 to 3 hours long. I plan to share a portion of my message, “Triangle of Triumph”, from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. “Rejoice evermore; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.” (I prepared this message in October 2001 to share in Germany and Crimea following the terrible 9-11 attacks on America.)
We want to honor men of God who have faithfully served our King Jesus and have recently been summoned Home to dwell in the majesty and glory of His presence: Ernie Chamberlain, Kenneth Beckman, Carl Anderson, and Dave Adams. All of these were potent proclaimers of the Word of Truth and diligent disciplers of others training to do the same. The first three served at Boise Bible College and Dave Adams taught at Northwest College of the Bible in Portland, Oregon, as well as serving as preaching pastor at River Hills Church in Gresham, Oregon. Another man of God, who is hovering on the edge of eternity is Stan Lutz’s father, Edward Lutz. (Stan is our field paleontologist and museum curator for Northwest Science Museum.) Note: As we were preparing this letter, we got a message, telling us that Stan’s dad is now also in the arms of Jesus.
Please pray for the families of all of these men that God will comfort and strengthen each one.
From Our Mailbox
“Thanks for your help keeping the light shining from the House on the Hill in Crimea! Thanks for your help in keeping me teaching preachers and other servants of the Lord on mainland Ukraine. Thanks for your help in extending my apologetics ministry to West Europe (Prague and Berlin). Thanks for your help to other ministries in Crimea, Ukraine and beyond!”
Georges Carillet (Director of Commonwealth International University in Crimea)
“We are praying with you, and thank you soo much for this wonderful article! We are going to print it out with Wade and spread among some of our friends as the powerful instrument to appeal to the basic/fundamental questions of faith. Thank you for your ministry and all the work you do for His glory!
Wade and Tamara” (Roye)
(Note: The article Wade and Tamara are referring to is now in this prayer letter (page 4) – “Does It Really Matter if the Days of Creation Were Literal Days or Long Ages?”)
“My presentation Sunday is on BBC (Boise Bible College) and I am spending most of my time telling stories of our graduates and how they are making a difference around the world. There are so many stories to tell it is hard to narrow them down to a few that will inspire and show those hearing the breadth of the ministry here at BBC. You are part of that story!”
David Davolt (Director of Development at Boise Bible College)
“Just a note to let you know how much I appreciate receiving your newsletters. First off, Trinity is darling! I know the pleasure you have in being around this precious little one…..
Rick, the information in the newsletters is always so pertinent to the problems we are facing today. And always Biblically sound. The Scriptures you use confirm the points you are making. I’m interested in reading about the progress and updates about the Science Museum. Also, I really appreciate reading the comments from your friends in Ukraine about what is happening there. I am praying that it works out for you to go there again in September.
Della, I admire the pictures and plaques you have adorning your walls. I would love to come and visit in your home. I’m sure it’s so warm and inviting and filled with the love of God……
Blessings to you both,
“Speaking of books, I thought you might be interested to know, I recently gave away two copies of your book, “Ready to Give an Answer”. The interesting part is who I gave them to: Barbara Jones of the Billy Graham Organization, prayer co-coordinator for the whole state of Nevada; and Fred Tumwebaze (pronounced tomb-we-boz-e), Pastor – missionary – evangelist, head of Rescue African Children, Inc., from Uganda, Africa. Thought you’d like to know.”
Does It Really Matter If the Days of Creation Were Literal Days or Long Ages?
Yes, it does. The main reason it matters that God actually did create everything in six days is the nature and character of God Himself. Here’s why:
1. God “cannot lie”. He told us in Genesis 1 as plainly as language can convey what He did, when, and how. He spoke – and it was done.
2. He repeated it six times for emphasis. In Hebrew writing, repetition is used for emphasis. For example, Isaiah 6:3 says, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory.” In Genesis 1, God inspired Moses to write six times: “and the evening and the morning were the first day…second day…third day… etc. Also when a number appears before the word “day” – it is a literal day. How could God have made it any clearer?
3. The only reason for trying to cram millions of years into the text of Genesis is to comply with the time table of the evolutionists. That time table was concocted by skeptics whose purpose was to undermine the Biblical worldview in order to promote their ungodly “progressive” viewpoint. It was not because of scientific evidence. If you want to see the documentation on this, check out the writings of Terry Mortenson at Answers in Genesis. He did the historical research on this subject for his doctorate. Also see “In the Minds of Men” by Ian Taylor and “The Emperors Who Had No Clothes” by Milt Marcy. (We have copies of Milt’s well-documented book in stock.)
4. God’s own commentary on Genesis 1 is found in Exodus 20:8-11. Verse 11 says: “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath Day and hallowed it.” The Sabbath Day was God’s covenant sign between Him and His chosen nation, Israel. Can you imagine an Israelite reading this commandment and thinking, “Oh! I have to work six million years first – then I can rest for a million!”? So, if someone asks if it is written in stone that the days of creation were literal days — the answer is Yes, definitely! The commandment to keep the Sabbath was the fourth of the Ten Commandments, which God wrote on stone. Exodus 31:12-18 is the passage of Scripture which tells us that the Sabbath was the covenant sign between God and His people, Israel. Verses 17 and 18 say: ‘It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’ And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.”
5. The God we worship is our Awesome Creator! – He is not incompetent! He does not need millions of years (or billions) to get a job done! When authority speaks – things happen! When Jesus spoke to the elements of the storm, “Peace – be still!”, how long did it take for the apostles to see the results? See Mark 4:35-40.
Does the Word of God describe our Awesome Creator as a cruel tyrant who created a world dripping with bloodshed and red from teeth and claw? The essential elements of evolution over millions of years include conflict, struggle, disease, and death with survival only of the fittest! (No matter whether it is called “theistic evolution” or “progressive creation”, these elements are ingrained in the process. Is that what the Word of God teaches as the pattern or process that our Creator used? No! To say that He “used evolution to create” is a contradiction of terms. Evolution is not creation! Creation is not evolution! They are opposite and opposing worldviews. It is a twisting of terminology to say “created by evolution” – such as calling a brilliant diamond an “intelligent rock”. God created a perfect paradise! (See Genesis 1). Isaiah 11:6-9, as well as Revelation 21 and 22, prophesy a restored paradise where “They shall not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” (Isaiah 11:9).
6. The worst part of the portrayal of God taking millions (even billions) of years to “create” by using gradual evolutionary processes is that He would therefore be using suffering and death as part of the process before Adam and Eve sinned. The Word of God explicitly teaches that everything God created during creation week was good, and the sixth day he declared it very good. Death and suffering came upon this world as part of the curse because Adam and Eve rebelled and sinned against God. Romans 5:12 says, “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned….” Jesus came to this earth as the second Adam to undo what the first Adam caused. Jesus conquered sin and death by His sinless life, death for our sins, and resurrection for our eternal life. That is the gospel.
7. Every old earth theory (speculation) that is offered as a substitute for what Genesis 1 actually says puts suffering and death before sin. This is a blatant violation of Biblical teaching in Genesis 1 – 3 and Romans 5 – 8. This violation of vital Biblical teaching undermines the main reason why Jesus came to earth as the second Adam – to conquer sin and death.
8. If the first Adam was an analogy, what does that make the second Adam? Luke traces the genealogy of Jesus all the way back to Adam. See Luke 3:23-28. Can an analogy “evolve” into a living, breathing human being? Doesn’t this idea require incredible blind faith? I mention analogy because proponents of long ages try to side-step the clear, historical narrative of the early chapters of Genesis by calling it an analogy or poetic. It is neither one.
9. How old were Adam and Eve on the 7th day? One day? Or millions of years? How can we make sense out of each day being a long age?
10. What is the origin of the seven day week? One year is based on the rotation of the earth around the sun, and the month is based on the rotation of the moon around the earth. The only reason for our seven day week is that it is the ordinance of our Lord Almighty Himself.
11. What kind of language is Genesis? The Bible has figurative language in the books of poetry and prophecy – but the first five books of the Bible are history and law. How should we read history and law? As literal truth!
12. Old earth “creationists” commonly accept the evolutionary geological time table for the age of the earth based upon the false premise of uniformitarianism. Uniformitarianism is the philosophy that “the present is the key to the past” – which means that the layers of solid rock strata were laid down gradually over millions of years rather than mostly in one year during the Flood, which was the biggest, most violent catastrophe in earth history. There is a massive amount of strong evidence for the Flood catastrophe – such as a forest of petrified trees in Yellowstone Park that have many strata of rock layers surrounding them. Old earth creationism proponents must ignore these evidences in order to cling to their theory. However, even more serious is their distortion of Scripture by claiming that the Flood God sent in Noah’s time was “a local flood.” Please reread Genesis chapters 6 through 9 and ask yourself if it describes “a local flood.” Perhaps there is no more flagrant example of twisting Scripture to try to fit it into “science falsely so called” than the local flood foolish fallacy. (There is a section of chapter 2 of my small book, Is the Bible without Any Errors?, which expands on this thought – and it is available on our Overseas Outreach website.)
By the inspiration of the Holy Spirit the apostle Peter predicted that scoffers would use uniformitarianism as a basis for their scoffing. “Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, ‘Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.’ For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.” 2 Peter 3:1-7
I have 2 questions for you to ponder from this portion of Scripture:
1) If the first part that I underlined does not accurately describe the theory of uniformitarianism, what does it describe?
2) If the second part that I underlined does not describe a global flood, what does it describe? Will the final judgment of the earth by fire be only a local fire (and a partial judgment)?
13. Jesus Himself, while in human form, expressed his belief in the accuracy and historicity of the early chapters of Genesis. See Mark 10:6-9 and Matthew 24:37-39. He not only believed it – He created it all! “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.” Colossians 1:15-18 (NKJV). The issue is – do we believe Him? This is vitally important! Romans 4:3 says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Do we believe Him? Or do we doubt Him and try to twist His Word to fit human speculation of “science falsely so called”?
14. Please consider Psalm 33:6, 8-9: “By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.. ..Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.” (NKJV)
Let’s do as the Word of God says – “Stand in awe of Him!” How awesome is the power of His Word! Let’s heed His warnings to never add to nor take away from His Word. Deuteronomy 4:2 says: “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take anything from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.”
The Apostle Paul wrote: “For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Romans 4:3. Do we believe God or not? Is believing God a trivial, sideline issue? Hardly! What will disbelieving Him be accounted for?
Does A Recent Creation Contradict Science?
I have listed 14 Biblical reasons for why this matters. Do you think the Bible contradicts science? God is the original scientist! Does God contradict Himself with His Word contrasted with His world? Are you willing to test, probe, and examine the implications of Paul’s warning to Timothy about science (knowledge) falsely so-called? See 1 Timothy 6:20-21.
By the way, every Biblical creation ministry can give you a lot of scientific reasons why the earth, the solar system, and the universe cannot be millions of years old. Contact us at Northwest Science Museum if you want more information. The phone number is 208-972-6288. Or – the email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact me (Rick Deighton) at email@example.com or with our mailing address.
On the front page of this prayer letter you see a copy of the picture that hangs above my desk. It is an excellent reminder to focus on what is most important (even far more important than winning an Olympic gold medal!). Evangelism is still very, very important to me, but now even more important is discipling other believers to become bold witnesses for Jesus. Why? Because they will keep on keeping on sharing Jesus and winning souls after our King calls me Home.
When Paul was in prison facing pending execution, he wrote to Timothy, “And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” 2 Timothy 2:2 (NKJV). Also, Paul wrote his purpose statement to believers in Colossi: “To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.” Colossians 1:27-29 (NKJV)
I’m scheduled to teach a concentrated course on Christian Evidences to students at Tavrisky Christian Institute (TCI) near Kherson, Ukraine the week of October 3-7, and once again I will be using my book, Ready to Give an Answer as the textbook (the students will have their copies in Russian).
Several months ago I donated a couple cases of Ready to Give an Answer to “Spirit of Martyrdom.” It was a joy to me to see that David Witt, founder, decided to use it as a fundraiser as well as sharing with individuals to help prepare bold witnesses.
Here is what Spirit of Martyrdom wrote:
“Rick Deighton is a partner with Spirit of Martyrdom ministries and has generously donated books to SOM. He is a bold witness for Christ. Rick has a rich history serving the gospel to the ex-Soviet Union countries. In this context, Rick addresses his book to the rational, agnostic and atheistic audience who look towards reason and science for meaning. This book gives a case for Creationism, points out the weaknesses of Darwinism and lays out a foundation for rational salvation through Jesus Christ alone.”
(Spirit of Martyrdom also shared the following endorsements, which are printed in the book):
“The major objections, issues and attacks from skeptics, doubters, agnostics and atheists are dealt with carefully and skillfully by the author.” – Reggie Thomas, Founder of White Fields Overseas Evangelism
“Your well-researched approach reminds me of Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel.”
– Pastor Dave Rowe, New Haven Fellowship
“This is a good handbook for someone needing the condensed research necessary to share their faith in an intelligent and informed manner.” – Professor Dave Brink, Northwest College of the Bible
This book is available to you for any donation (to Spirit of Martyrdom). Please request one today.
You can send your donation and request your copy directly from: Spirit of Martyrdom Ministries, P.O. Box 101, Clarkdale, AZ 83624.
Praise & Prayer Requests
1. Both America and Ukraine are facing critical times (as well as Syria, Israel, and many other nations.
2. Praise God for a safe and productive speaking trip to western Oregon and to Winema Week of Missions. Please pray for a safe and productive mission trip to Ukraine and Germany from September 9 – October 24 for me and September 9 – 26 for Sam Hough.
3. Pray for “Ready to Give an Answer to be an effective fund raiser for Spirit of Martyrdom, as well as for it to be an effective evangelism and discipling tool in hostile countries, in prisons, and on college and university campuses. (It has now been re-printed in Russian and is ready for distribution.)
4. Remember to pray for comfort for the families of Ernie Chamberlain, Kenneth Beckman, Carl Anderson, Dave Adams and Edward Lutz.
5. Pray for God to raise up bold witnesses for Jesus.
“GIVE ME 100 PREACHERS WHO FEAR NOTHING BUT SIN AND DESIRE NOTHING BUT GOD; SUCH ALONE WILL SHAKE THE GATES OF HELL.”
– John Wesley