Dear Prayer Partners,
For my report this month I plan to go back to my journal to share a few more highlights from my spring mission trip. I’ll start with my entry for Sunday, March 17th, 5:30 a.m.:
Alex Lychack met me at the train station. We waited until 6:00 for the taxi, which didn’t come, and then walked to Ludmilla’s home, where Alex rents a room. Preached “More Than Conquerors” at Christian Church of Reconciliation. Had many positive responses. One lady said it was deep and meaningful. Oleg said, “I love you” and shook my hand vigorously.
March 18 & 19: Very full days, teaching in Tatiana’s and Tamara’s classes – mostly Worldview – some students cool, but some very interested and took literature. Pray for Maria (Masha) – she seemed open to consider, and I gave her a copy of each booklet. Pray for God to water the seed.
Monday and Tuesday evenings I taught small group classes at Christian Church of Reconciliation. Had dinner and good visit with Yuri and Inna Korshun – things are much better at their Messianic congregation. Praise God! Pray for friend, Valery, who started a new congregation, which has about 20 members – financial struggles.
March 20: First day of spring. After rain on Tuesday evening and overnight, we had beautiful sunshine for the beginning of spring – with a cold wind.
I had opportunity to speak to two of Tatiana’s classes and in Katerina’s class. Very open, warm responses. While presenting Worldview in Tatiana’s class, a young lady named Tanya asked me what caused me to change from my atheist position. As I told her about Dad’s accident, the tears began streaming down her face. She has a tender heart! The students took literature.
In Katerina’s class they were very eager listeners, especially Katerina herself – and took lots of literature and books – all of “Ready to Give an Answer” that I had with me were gone!
March 22: Today I taught in only one class – 10th grade in an exclusive high school. I shared how attitude is far more important that aptitude and told Della’s story. Immediately after class, Alexandra came to tell me, “Thank you very much!” She said that she also has health problems and Della’s story really touched her. Praise God! I gave her a copy of “Ready to Give an Answer” – and gave copies to two teachers (Irene and Oksana) – even though Tatiana told me the principal is an atheist who doesn’t want Christian literature in his school. (All the more reason they need it!)
This evening I am to teach another small group, and I chose to teach from Philippians 4:4-13. “The Power of the Presence of God.” Note: The class went very well – people seemed blessed from the Word!
A few years ago I visited Germany on my way home from Ukraine and gave a report to a small group at International Christian Church in Tübingen, where Jim and Naomi Kautt effectively minister to students from many nations. When I shared how God raised up Sergei Golovin, a scientist converted to Christ by reading the Bible from the beginning, to impact multitudes in the Russian speaking world from his home in Simferopol, Crimea, an 87-year-old German lady was amazed. “Crimea!!! That is the stronghold of atheism. Amazing!” (This is the translation of her response.) Yes, our Awesome God is still doing amazing things in transforming lives – sometimes whole cultures with His grace, truth and love.
In April, after the groundbreaking ceremony near Evpatoria for the training center and creation museum for Christian Center for Science and Apologetics, Sergei and Olga took me to see the village where Stan Ilin was born. They showed me the plot of land where Stan’s family had their farm – it now belongs to an Orthodox church. Their sign is prominently displayed on the property, declaring their intentions to build.
Sergei sent pictures to our mutual friend, Stan Ilin, who now lives in Eagle, Idaho, and on
4-22-13 Stan sent Della the following email message: “A church in that proximity is indeed amazing! I do not remember any religious structures, nor any mentioning of God in that village, when I was there. We kids were total and complete heathens (without the knowledge of God). We were also in Evpatoria for several months, waiting for transport by water to Odessa. Sergei purchased the land there for a facility…..
Sha’alu Salom Yerushalyim” (Translation: Pray for the peace of Jerusalem)
From Our Mailbox
“How I love and read every word in your letters. You are faithful servants. I pray God for your safety as you work in his vineyard.
In the love of Jesus,
“With regard to More than Conquerors in Cultural Clashes I have read each installment. As I recall, your concern was to present your readers with truthful but sensitively delivered information present in a balanced format. I believe you have achieved that goal so far.
Best regards, Drew
“Your writing is forceful and direct – and needs to be. You have lovingly written what God requires versus what the world/perverted sinners were taught. Keep up the good work!”
D. Lloyd Thomas
“Thanks; good insight and supporting information.
In regards to our current sex-ed/ abortion debate, I think of the saying that says: “a half truth is better than a whole lie.” Most of the pro- sex-ed and abortion mill rhetoric is half a truth that has the same effect as believing a whole lie.
God bless, Bill”
“Natasha and kids are back at home. I have about 70% of the balcony work completed. Hope to finish the rest before kids go to school in September. I also had many good opportunities to preach in churches and prisons in July. In the beginning of August I had a privilege to baptize three people into Christ. How are you doing?”
1. We have a serious need for finances! Please pray for God to open the windows of heaven for our personal finances, our Deighton Lighting finances, our Northwest Science Museum finances, and our Overseas Outreach finances. As an example of what I mean – our total business volume for Deighton Lighting in 2012 was less than one-fourth what it was in 2010. We have not taken a salary since January. We have used $11,000 from our retirement funds to fund our business until it recovers. As most of you know, I am a bi-vocational missionary, so we live off of our lighting business except for when I’m actually on a mission trip. The retirement funds are for our living expenses in case of illness or accident. I never intend to retire from our Lord’s work, but may someday sell our business so I can devote more time to mission trips, etc. Currently our business is a good excuse for making contacts for a higher purpose. I even tell business owners, managers, employees, “This is my more important way of sharing the light” when I offer them Christian literature. My business card includes the phrase, Jesus lights up our lives! on the front and has an invitation to Eagle Christian Church on the backside. (The good news about our Deighton Lighting is that business is beginning to pick up. Please pray!)
2. Mission trip for this fall??? In June and July I shared with you the invitation from Steve Bragg about coming to the Philippines – but it will take a financial miracle to make that happen.
3. Please pray for publication of “More Than Conquerors in Cultural Clashes” soon. We have now finished the manuscript except for some finishing touches, refining from suggestions for improvement by our reviewers, and waiting for permissions to quote. My prayer is that this book will challenge, inspire, and encourage fellow believers to stand up, straighten up and speak up for Jesus, while demolishing strongholds of deception and degradation. Will you pray with me for God to use this book as a spark for revival and spiritual awakening?
We know of three special, faithful couples who are celebrating long-time commitment in their wedding anniversaries this month:
1. Victor & Evelyn Knowles – 46 years
We are co-workers with them in Peace On Earth Ministries.
2. Doug & Carol Reed – 46 years.
I helped train Doug to reach souls for Christ in personal evangelism when he was 17 and 18 years old – and performed their wedding ceremony in August of 1967.
3. Dick & Dee Halaas – 50 years!
We were classmates at Ozark Bible College for the school year of 1965-1966. Wow! How time flies! Here is an email message from Dick dated 8-5-13:
“Thank you so very much. August 17 is the date.
Yes, it is for us to shine not whine. Praise our Father for all the sanding and other preparation. He’s not done with us yet.
Praise Him for all the gifts he has brought to us by being faithful to each other. Praise Him for growth in love and commitment.
‘Love is active, intelligent, good will in everyday living.’ Amen to that.
Very gratefully, Dick & Dee”
After you pray for our requests and praise God for the faithful servants mentioned above, please saturate your mind with these wonderful words of life:
“As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power….. Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.” Colossians 2:6-10 & 4:5-6 (NKJV).
Yours & His,