The Myth of Moral Relativity
Have you ever heard one or more of these over-confident statements?
- “It may be true for you – but it’s not true for me!”
- “Everything is relative – there are no moral absolutes!”
- “You can’t legislate morality!”
Let’s rethink these mantras of moral relativity with a few pertinent questions.
- Are there laws against murder? Theft? Rape? Fraud? Slander? Aren’t these moral issues?
- Is everything relative? Why should we believe “everything is relative”? That is an absolute statement! The flip side of that irony is the equally blatant statement, “There are no absolutes!” Isn’t that an absolute statement?
- Isn’t it the irony of ironies that it is mostly the proponents (pushers) of the myth of moral relativity who are pushing on to the rest of us their laws and standards of “moral” absolutes about acceptance and celebration of perversion (Pride Month), transgender issues, mandates about masks, vaccines, climate change, shutdowns, monkeypox as another pandemic, etc.?
Jesus said: “…If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32 By inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the apostle Paul wrote: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (NKJV)
Education Falsely So-Called
The Word of God says: “O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called ‘knowledge,’ for by professing it some have swerved from the faith.” 1 Timothy 6:20-21 (ESV) The King James Version says, “science falsely so-called.” Why? Because the original meaning of the word science was “knowledge.” Not only is evolutionism, with all of its polluted ramifications, “science falsely so-called,” but the fantasy of evolutionism has permeated the entire secular educational system with its naturalist philosophy that leaves God out of every subject and pollutes them with Marxism, transgenderism, racism, etc. Let’s be wise enough to label a spade a spade! The NEA is training teachers to indoctrinate American children with Marxism, critical race theory, critical gender theory, etc., while neglecting true history, reading, math (the basics). Education falsely so-called is indoctrination! Martin Luther wrote that education that is not centered in Christ is from Satan! Why? “But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—that, as it is written, ‘He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.’” 1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (NKJV) If you want documentation about my assertion concerning the NEA, please contact me.
Potent Proof Concerning the Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Recently when I was sorting some old papers, I found a very faded copy of an outstanding and compelling article by R.A. Torrey entitled “The Certainty and Importance of the Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the Dead.” As I read, I was thinking, “This is too good to let it die,” so I recruited Sandy to retype it in a much more pleasant and readable format and then expanded it a bit with a few notes and an excellent tribute by a talented friend, and a conclusion with an invitation that includes Fanny Crosby’s famous song: Jesus is Calling. Would you like to have a free copy? We only have 20 print copies on hand, so please let us know soon if you want one – and if you want a print copy or digital.
Overview of The Revelation of Jesus Christ – Reflections & Perceptions
Going over and over The Revelation of Jesus Christ in my personal Bible study time has been and still is stimulating as well as challenging. Therefore, I want to share with you some of my reflections and perceptions in the hope that these will be stimulating and challenging to you as well. If what I share is insightful for you and inspires you to deeper devotion to our Lord Jesus and/or greater hatred to that which He hates and greater love for that which He loves – wonderful! Praise God!
- The first chapter of The Revelation of Jesus Christ is the record of John’s vision of the power and perfection of Jesus in His resurrection majesty and glory. What was the result? “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, ‘Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.’” Revelation 1:17-18 (ESV)
- Chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation are the record of Jesus’ messages to the messengers of the seven churches in Asia Minor, and Ephesus was the first church which He addressed – the very church where John had ministered before being banished to Patmos Island (similar to Alcatraz). (His church had lost her first love!) Jesus found something to commend in six of the seven churches – but nothing to commend in Laodicea, the lukewarm church. In five of the seven churches, Jesus’ message was: “Repent – or else…!”
Since seven is the number of completion (perfection), wouldn’t it be wise to consider that these messages were not only for seven actual congregations in Asia, but for all the congregations there? Also, that the messages to those historical churches are pertinent to churches in every location and in every time frame?
- Chapters 4 and 5 record John’s vision of the throne room in heaven. As you read this description of MAJESTY UNVEILED, doesn’t it leave you standing breathless and awe-struck in HIS PRESENCE? Do the words to the song, “I Can Only Imagine!” come to your mind and heart? “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” Revelation 4:11 (ESV)
- Chapters 6-22 are the unveiling of a series of highly symbolic visions given to John about future events, and they appear to me to be given in the form of Hebrew parallelisms: that is – that each one covers the entire Christian dispensation from the first century through the end of time and into eternity from a different perspective. I have been to several European castles with winding staircases up to the top of the watchtower, and there are windows at different levels of your ascent where you can look out to get a different viewpoint of the surrounding area. Could it be that the Holy Spirit was giving to John apocalyptic visions of the same events from a different perspective and higher elevation each time? That is what it seems to me to be – but you can decide for yourself. I will not try to explain all the details in the big picture, but I do hope that the vision of the Conqueror – Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords rejoicing in triumphant victory with His beautiful and spotless Bride forever in glory, will once again leave you awestruck and breathless in adoring wonder! Amen!
Many years ago, Larry Jonas shared with me his observation that Jewish scholars poured over the Old Testament prophecies concerning Messiah, and even memorized huge portions of Scripture – yet still did not see how Jesus would fulfill those prophecies in His first coming. Is it any wonder that we struggle to see how all the pieces of prophecy will fit together in His second coming? Let’s pray for the Holy Spirit to illuminate our minds to see how the prophecies are coming together in His own time and in His way. “He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NKJV)
In recent years, I’ve heard repeatedly how important it is for teachers and preachers of the Word of God to“ keep the main thing the main thing!” In my perspective, I believe that by keeping the dominant messages of “The Revelation of Jesus Christ” in heart and mind, we will be much more likely to preach and teach like Richard Baxter! “I preached as never sure to preach again, and as a dying man to dying men.”
Also, from my perspective, wouldn’t it be unwise (foolish) for any of us to categorize our speculation about the millennium and the sequence of end time events (unfulfilled prophesies) as one of the essentials of the faith and make it a test of fellowship? (I have heard a preacher on the radio do that very thing!) In fact, isn’t it not only dangerous but also sinful to do so? The night before Jesus died for our sins, He prayed: “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth. I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.” John 17:17-21 (NKJV) The Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write: “I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:1-3 (NKJV) Amen!
What About Genesis?
Genesis is the foundational book for the rest of the Bible – and we need to build our understanding of God’s Word on a solid foundation. I believe that without a clear understanding of Genesis, it is impossible for us to know how to “keep the main thing the main thing”!
If we read Genesis seriously (as well as the other early books of the Bible), we will read them literally because they are literal history! They are found in the historical section of our Biblical library of 66 books for good reason – they are history! This is more than mere human opinion! Jesus and His inspired apostles and prophets mentioned Adam and Eve, Abel, Noah, and Moses as historical realities. Jesus said, “as the days of Noah were…” and “If you believed Moses, you would believe Me!” Consider this account the Holy Spirit inspired Matthew to record for us: “The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, ‘Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?’ And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.’” Matthew 19:3-6 (NKJV). Jesus quoted Moses as His answer!
Also, consider the fact that the Holy Spirit inspired Luke to trace the genealogy of Jesus through His legal stepfather, Joseph, all the way back to Adam (see Luke 3:23-38)! The Holy Spirit also inspired the apostle Paul to explain the foundation of the gospel is that the first man, Adam, rebelled against his Creator and brought death into the world – but Jesus, as the second Adam, became the new head of the human race and brought life and light to our world by paying our death penalty with His own precious blood and conquered sin, death, and hell by His resurrection from the dead (see Romans 5:12-21; 1 Corinthians 15:1-28)! None of this would make any sense if Adam is merely an allegory rather than the actual, literal, original head of the human race as the Word of God declares him to be. Yes! This is essential to the gospel!
Were the days of creation literal days? Yes! Definitely! How do we know?
1st – They are recorded for us in the first chapter of the first historical book of the Bible, and in verses 26-28 is where we find our Creator creating mankind in His own image – and giving dominion to Adam and Eve! For thousands of years Bible readers have read and understood this as literal history. There is no reason not to accept it as literal history unless we want to compromise with evolutionism’s timetable of millions and billions of years! This is similar to Satan’s original deception of Eve by questioning, “Did God really say…?” Evolutionism (science falsely so-called) is not science – it is a naturalistic philosophy that goes back at least as far as to Greek philosophers about 600 B.C. The mantra of evolutionism is that “science” demands that everything must be explained by purely natural causes with no supernatural intervention! In other words, evolutionists have redefined the word “science” to eliminate God. However, the word “science” means knowledge, and the most basic rule of science is that every effect must have an adequate cause. The only adequate cause for this complex universe and everything in it is the eternal, all-knowing, all-wise Creator. Every conscious human being knows this fact intuitively by the beauty, order, and design of creation all around us (in spite of the fact that we now live on a cursed earth)!
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” Romans 1:18-21 (NKJV)
2nd – There are plenty of scientific facts that demonstrate that the earth, solar system, and entire universe cannot be billions (or millions) of years old, and the first verse in the Bible is a powerful, scientific statement of truth! Herbert Spencer spent years as a research scientist, analyzing the universe before concluding that the universe has five basic components:
- Time 2. Force 3. Energy 4. Space 5. Matter
Is it only by pure coincidence that the very first verse of the Bible contains all five of these components? Consider that Moses penned these words nearly 3,500 years before Herbert Spencer did his research and took up his pen to write his conclusions. Take note and consider carefully:
1. In the beginning time
2. God force
3. created energy
4. the heavens space
5. and the earth matter
Did Almighty God inspire Moses to write these amazing words—or is this just luck? The Word of God is our confidence – not coincidence!
3rd – Isn’t the best commentary on the Bible another passage from the Bible? Here is God’s own commentary on the first chapter of Genesis: “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.” Exodus 20:11 (NKJV) The Sabbath day was God’s covenant sign with the nation of Israel – and He included it in the Ten Commandments! So, if you are wondering, “Is it etched in stone that the days of creation were literal days?” – the answer is YES! He even inspired Moses to repeat it with emphasis in Exodus 31! “Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’” Exodus 31:15-17 (NKJV)
It is true that the Hebrew word for day (Yom) is sometimes used figuratively – so the context is extremely important. In Hebrew writings, when Yom is combined with a number – it is understood to be literal, as we find in Genesis 1! Genesis 1:5 reads: “So the evening and the morning were the first day.” He repeats this for each of the six days of creation. How could God have made it any clearer?
Our Overseas Outreach mission moves forward on two legs to reach souls for Christ:
1. Creation Evangelism 2. Compassion Evangelism
For the past few months, in view of the horrible devastation and suffering from war in Ukraine, we have been concentrating on compassion evangelism, and we will continue to do what we can to show compassion to those in great need. However, we also want to point them (and everyone) to the Creator and Redeemer! He is our Hope! Our Joy! Our Peace! Have you surrendered your life to His Lordship and control? Here is His invitation to you: “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star. And the Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.” Revelation 22:16-17 (NKJV)
At this point, I choose to express my concerns and motivation for sharing my reflections on “The Revelation of Jesus Christ”:
- The unity of the Body of Christ! The slogan: In essentials – unity! In opinions – liberty! In all things – love! is a great summary of Biblical truth, but those who consider their perception about “the millennium” as essential doctrine, threaten the unity of the Body (no matter what opinion/conviction they hold!).
- Love! Jesus said: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 (ESV) If and when we make our opinion/conviction of higher importance than loving our brethren, we are marring the “mark of a Christian” and violating Jesus’ command!
- Being prepared for persecution! For years persecuted believers in China have been praying for God to grant persecution to America because spiritual awakening and revival follows in the wake of persecution. However, believers who have been taught that the phrase “the wrath to come” is referring to “the great tribulation” rather than to the final judgement of the ungodly are likely to be unprepared for the heavy persecution believers in many nations are already enduring. Will our brothers and sisters in Christ with this persuasion be so disappointed that they weren’t raptured out from great tribulation that they give up and give in instead of “enduring to the end” as overcomers? Andrew Brunson has a very practical, pertinent series of three lessons on preparing for persecution, which are being published in Decision Magazine. The June issue article, “Fear God Not People” is especially potent with Biblical perspective. Here are a few excerpts: “… Blessed am I because I am in prison. I choose willingly to suffer for the sake of Jesus and by suffering for His sake, I hope to display for everyone His incomparable worth… There are great and important things at stake. Stand firm. My friends, start to work on this now. Ask God to put the fear of Him in your heart, so that you will not depart from Him, so that you will not give in to the fear of man… Jesus said, ‘Stand firm, and you will win life’ (Luke 21:19, NIV). He will take you to be with Him, and you will be safely home.” Jesus said to the church in Thyatira: “Only hold fast what you have until I come. The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations,” Revelation 2:25-26 (ESV)
- Freedom! Feel free to hold your opinion about the millennium and unfulfilled prophecy – but please don’t try to bind it on others in the Body of Christ. Let’s love one another as brothers and sisters in Christ in spite of some different perspectives and remember to: “Standfast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.” Galatians 5:1 (NKJV) Amen.
From Our Mailbox
“Rick, I just now finished reading this essay and must say you worded it well. I appreciate your straight forwardness. – David Davolt”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
It has been many years since we crossed paths in person at OBC. However, I have kept up with your ministry and always am blessed by your newsletter. Thank you for shipping me your ‘More Than Conquerors’ books. They just arrived today, but I’ve briefly scanned them and have even read the first chapter of ‘Confident Witnessing in Current Issues.’ I’m anxiously looking forward to the remainder, and am so appreciative of the Biblical stance you take on each issue. Even among supposedly Biblically-based churches, there seems to be an erosion of taking a stand on such issues, in the name of not offending anyone. We’re seeing the results of that approach in our society today….
When it comes to a Biblical worldview of creation, I believe most professing believers today are totally ignorant on the subject. Interestingly enough, it was an atheistic, evolutionist biology professor in a state university who motivated me as a nominal Christian to seek apologetical answers to questions concerning faith. He constantly made fun of a girl in class who stood for her faith; but he never answered her questions which challenged his positions. That seemed unfair; and it also caused me to wonder if he even had answers. That’s what led to my seeking answers not only to questions about creation, but of the deity of Christ, the inerrancy of Scripture, and other basic issues. That study changed my life. It’s good to reconnect with you, Rick. I’m thankful for the work you are doing and I always look forward to reading your newsletter.
Keep on keeping on, John Caldwell”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Dear Rick and Della,
… Summer brings fun opportunities for laughter and happiness – the picnics, the vacations, and the get-togethers. Author Barbara Johnson says, ‘Human beings thrive on laughter. Since most of us can’t afford vacations in Hawaii, we have to learn to make our own fun! The best way to do that is to keep your state of mind green and golden: find, recycle, or produce joy wherever and however you can.’
Scripture is abundant with reminders about the place that joy should have in our lives: ‘Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongue with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, ‘The Lord has done great things for them.’ -Psalm 126:2 ‘Great are the works of the LORD: they are pondered by all who delight in them.’ -Psalm 111:2 ‘Shout for joy to God, our source of strength! Shout out to the God of Jacob!’ – Psalm 81:1
Joy grows from a deep place in our souls where we meet with God honestly and humbly. A place where we learn more about Him and how our relationship can grow stronger. In this place we discover a peace that is ‘beyond all understanding’ (Philippians 4:7). Through this peace we can begin to experience a joy that is not dependent on the happenings of the moment – because our strength is not in ourselves, but in Christ. Summer is a great time for us to experience the joy that living in Christ brings us, allowing us to enjoy all that God provides. As we experience God’s joy through the beauty of nature, the sound of children’s laughter, or recounting a funny story with friends and family, be sure to share it. Our joy is multiplied when we do. And, save me a cold glass of peach iced tea! Thank you again for all you do for White Fields.
In Christian Love, Lori Thomas Darnell”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Thank you for the nice note and reading material you sent. Whenever your letter is in the mail, it’s the 1st one I open. I am so glad you had the opportunity to teach at the Creation Camp, Rick. You have such sound Bible knowledge, and varied life experiences to be effective in people’s lives. I wish I could be in a class to hear. I felt really bad hearing about your friend Nancy, I pray she is healing well. I’m glad you were there to be with her, Della.
I am thankful that you’re including Zhenya’s letters. I don’t hear from him much anymore, and I’m thankful to hear how he and the family are doing. I know he is such a help wherever he goes, giving people hope and comfort in hearing about our Lord and Savior. I do hope by now, he and his parents are out of the country. He and his family are always in my prayers. It is such a shame what is happening to his country, and its people. Evil does exist!
Della, I really appreciate your page. The poem ‘Changing Times’ is so true. Through it all, ‘Christ the Lord, our faithful friend’ is still in control. I wonder if you two will be able to go to ICOM this year. It’s November 3-5 in Columbus, Ohio. I know it will depend on a lot of things for you. I’m hoping to go, and it would be wonderful to get to see you. Rick, I enjoyed your mosquito story. A sign at a local church says – ‘Even mosquitoes know there is power in the blood.’ With that – I’ll leave you. I hope you’re both doing as well as possible. I’m doing pretty well. God is good!
My love in Christ, Gwen (Eichel)”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I really do not have words adequate to thank you enough for your many kindnesses. The sermon recordings really mean a lot – they are such a blessing – as well as other CDs. I so look forward to your kind notes also. And I always eagerly look forward to the monthly newsletters – thank you for your helpful thoughts and insights – thank you for sending the newsletters. You and Della are daily in my prayers. May my Dear Lord Jesus continue to bless you both. – Ken Morris”
Keeping in Touch in Trying Times
Dear Rick and Della, September 10, 2022
Thank you very much for latest newsletter and of course for supporting our family during this difficult time. I am still in Carpathian Mountains with my parents, preaching almost every Sunday. It is a great blessing for me and church. It helps me keep my spirit up. We also take part with my parents in prayer meetings during the week and some of them I lead. We drive to church for about 8 miles and also have opportunity to take showers there in the evening occasionally. I am trying to take good care of my parents and at times their moods are different plus aging, etc. They have many health issues and especially high blood pressure. I am trying to take walks and pray while walking just to be alone with God. We are still working on another document to be able to cross the border and hope it will be ready soon and we will be able to go and join our family in Austria. Please, continue to pray for us to reunite. – Blessings, Zhenya
Reply to Zhenya:
Thank you very much for the update we received today. You and your family remain in our hearts and prayers – now especially for you to get the document you need to cross borders and get to Austria to be reunited with the rest of your family. We have been praying about that already, but will continue to pray, asking God to help bring it about soon! And we will also pray for God’s healing touch for your parents, especially about their high blood pressure… We also thank God for using you to preach His Word regularly – so obviously He still is using you as a blessing to the church in the Carpathian Mountains. May your prayer walks alone with God Himself continue to draw you closer and closer to Him, lift you up in your spirit by His Spirit, and give you supernatural wisdom and power to accurately exposit His Word to needy souls hungry for truth and comfort. WE THANK GOD FOR YOUR FAITHFULNESS!
We are sending on to special friends who care and will pray concerning the update you sent – Sergei G., Stephen Y., John M., Sergey Y., Tim B., and Gwen E. We are also sending them my reply to you.
“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13 – Yours & His, Rick
Dear Rick and Della, thank you for your encouragement and support in a chain of prayers…
Praying for you and thankful to God for our bond in Christ, Zhenya
“Thank you very much, brother, for sharing! I did not know Zhenya is still in the country. I have contacted him and we will stay in touch. May the Lord bless you as abundantly as you are blessing for others!
Yours by His grace, Sergei (Golovin)”
Dad isn’t in the army. So he’s fine. It was a shelling on electric station and massive fires, that caused blackouts across eastern Ukraine. Now they are fixing them and electricity and water gradually come back. We are overjoyed that Kharkiv region is liberated, but the war is far from being over, unless the Lord will intervene. Which He can do. Until then, hoping on His mercy and serving for the victory and salvation of our people.
Yours in Christ, Katja (Nikonorova)”